Friday, May 15, 2009

Another look at automobile photography


I'm often asked if I miss the darkroom and frequently surprise people when I answer with an unequivocal "no." I don't miss bad fumes, heaps of paper spent making the perfect guide print and the sharp corner of my darkroom table that never hurt quite enough to round off, but still ate my hip weekly. I DO, however, miss the results. Ilford HP5 on a nice oriental warm tone paper could make for a delightful print. Even more so when it was printed by someone with true skills like Tim at Amaranth Photo lab in Boulder (now closed sadly).

The photo above is one of the first shots we did for the car shoot below. We had a few questionable minutes while nature decided not to rain and security decided whether my credentials were legit. The edits you see took about an hour and I was specifically going for a look reminiscent of the Oriental papers I love.

Before you look at the car photo in it's enlarged state, check this simple monitor calibration chart out. if you can see all of the different bars of gray and black on the chart you're more likely to see all of the shadow and highlight detail in the black and white photo.

No comments: