Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Headshot Photographer


I often get calls from people looking for a headshot photographer in Denver because they need a quick and "easy" photograph. Often on a budget. I respect budgets, but sometimes you get what you pay for. An informal poll of my last several gigs reveals that almost 1/3 of my business headshots are remakes from something someone tried themselves or with a friend/spouse. A little planning can lead you to a happy experience where you walk in ready to roll and walk out before you know you've been there.

Here are a few tips to make your business portrait experience successful:


  • Wear clothes that make you feel good. Bring that tie or blouse that everyone says makes your eyes look amazing

  • Consider more than one wardrobe option. I'd love to show you completely different options from the same shoot. You never know what use you'll find for the photos.

  • Ask your publisher, editor, manager or whomever if they have a layout that you can bring with you. Knowing how your photo will be used helps us speed along.

  • It's a lazy photographer that won't photograph you in white, however, sometimes the way your photo prints influences your clothing. Tight patterns and all white can be a challenge in printing, particularly for newspaper applications.

  • If we're working outside the studio I'd love to help you set the schedule before you make reservations or book people. A little planning goes a long way toward effective use of your employees time.

  • Be happy, really! I've had clients challenge me to make a good photo of them because no one else could. We're on the same team, let's have some fun and let it show in the photos.


Need more info, or ideas? I've got a lot more to share with you. Give me a call at 303-562-5536 and we'll get you started.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great article! The tips on how to create a successful shoot are great; I wish I had read this before getting my head shots done last week!

Tom said...

Great blog posting, Mark! The tips on how I can do my part to create a successful photo shoot was incredibly informative and simple! I wish I had read this before having my head shots done last week.

Mark Stevens Photography said...

thanks man, I wish you were famous already so you could have flown me out to do the headshots for you! :)